Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 1995 00:14:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: S3 Server dumps core

On Fri, 7 Jul 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I'm using 2.0.5-Snap 6/22, and the S3 still dumps core if and only if I
> > do this:
> >
> > 1) Switch from xdm to a text screen.
>
> Have you tried eliminating xdm from the equation and seeing if the
> server still dumps core?  I have never had XF86_S3 dump on me, but
> then I don't use xdm.  I'd like to know if this has anything to do
> with it.

Good idea.  I tested it out again, and as long as I am not running xdm,
XF86_S3 does not dump core when I log in as root from the text screen.
So the culprit is xdm.  Only when xdm is running, and if I log in as root
from the text screen will it dump core.

> > One other problem.... In the login window, Xconsole sometimes appears and
> > then closes by itself.  I have seen this happen on a 386-40, and also
> > this 486-100.
>
> Is /dev/console owned by you?  It needs to be for xconsole or `xterm -C'
> to work.  /etc/fbtab is a good way of making that happen automatically
> if it's not - do a man fbtab for details.
>
> 					Jordan

Actually, this is before even anyone logs into Xwindows via the xdm
login window.  For some reason, the xconsole window which appears
on the login screen sometimes closes.  I can tell it opens and then
closes because the screen flashes the window.

I am not sure how Xconsole should behave, but if it is a permissions
problem, shouldn't Xconsole stay open and show an error like, "Cannot open
console" like I have seen on NCD xterms used to access DECs and Suns?

The owner should be root I think because xdm is started in the /etc/ttys
file.