Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 21:54:48 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forcing umask values (i.e. stopping users from making files world accessible)?

Gabriel,

> I'm talking about webhosting consumers and the thing I had in mind was
> to stop them from having their scripts with passwords from being world
> readable...

If you're doing shared web hosting on FreeBSD, then I'd hope you're making
judicial use of jail(8) and that file permissions are therefore a
non-issue.

If not [then why not?], then it sounds like you're trying to solve a human
problem with a technical solution, and that's not likely to succeed. The
best you can do is tell the customers to DTRT and explain the consequences
of not doing so, then it's their problem not yours. Set their umask in
login.conf to help.

-Andrew-