Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 23:07:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Mario Doria <madd@tecdigital.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: TTL Values question

Mario Doria wrote to FreeBSD Questions:

> Hello,
>
> When I had 4.2-REL installed, I pinged my box and in the results the
> TTL came around 254. But now with 4.3-STABLE, the TTL is around 64.
> Does anybody know if this is just happening to me because of a rc.conf
> option, or is it a change in the code?

Hi Mario,

Probably neither. It depends who you ping--maybe you're trying to reach a
different host than you were with your last tests. BSD still sets the ttl
to 255, I think, but if anything changed, perhaps FreeBSD has changed this
default, but it's not in ping(8).

Ping localhost and observe. Other systems may set it to different values.
Some just don't change it--in this case you may see something "near" 255,
depending on the amount of hops.

The ttl values you see on a ping are taken from the return packet, so
ping(8) itself has precious little to do with it.

- Ryan

> Thanks,
>
> Mario Doria

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon