Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 15:37:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Hiroyuki HANAI <hanai@astec.co.jp>, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Local translations of www.freebsd.org

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > ja_JP.EUC.  All such native language pages will always be built
> > and carried by all mirrors.  We have gobs of mirror sites around
> > the world and if a few drop off because of extra space demands in
> > mirroring multiple languages, then so be it.  An German speaker
> > in Japan should be able to get German from www.ja.freebsd.org and
> > a Japanese speaker in Germany should should be able to get
> > Japanese from www.de.freebsd.org.
>
> Erm...  While I can certainly see advantages to this model, I have
> question whether or not it's truly realistic.  As a whole, our
> existing collection of mirrors is still chasing to catch up with the
> new english language content and layout of www.freebsd.org and, in
> well over 2 years, we've yet to succeed in achieving true
> syncronization with even a majority percentage of them.

I don't follow.  The addition of another language is no different
than, say, fixing a typo.  If they mirror the pages on a regular
basis, they get the update.  If they don't mirror on a regular
basis they don't.  The addition of Japanese, or any other
language, is simply a matter of more bytes, not any procedural
change.

> But if this content were easier to syncronize and build via the CVS
> repository and our default "build me a set of web pages" toolchain,
> don't you think that a lot of the regional mirrors would elect to keep
> their top pages directly under CVS, local tweaks and all?

Accessing the cvs repository on freefall is often a pain; 50%
packet loss is typical, and I'm only coming from Indiana.  As far
as streamlining the tools, Paul Richards gave me a prototype a
(long) while back that I still have not looked at very carefully,
and my window of opportunity is closing fast---classes start on
Monday.  I'm just tackling smaller scale projects at the moment.
The mailing list archives are now updated weekly for example. If
it were not for the grunt work Nate Johnson has been putting in
lately, the web site would be rusting by now! :) I may have have
to start tagging the rest of the web-related positions listed in
the handbook as "vacant", in this case policing mirrors to make
sure they are all subscribed to the www mailing list, are
updating on a reasonable schedule and so on.

-john