Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:15:41 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Unacceptably poor samba performance.

Hello,
I am having trouble with samba.  I am running 3.2-STABLE as of about 30 days
ago.  I am running the samba-2.0.5a that was compiled about a week ago.  I
have been running samba since version before samba-2.0 and I have been
having this problem all along.  My samba performance is horrible, this is
from multiple machines.

With FTP I can regularly get from 2-5MB/sec.  With samba I'm lucky if I get
500KB/sec, usually it's less.

One machine is a windows machine and one is a the FreeBSD machine.  The
windows machines will transfer via network neighborhood fine.  Any of the
machines transferring to/from the FreeBSD machine via samba will get similar
poor performance.  Again, FTP works perfectly fine.

I would expect a bit slower performance from samba because there is more
overhead involved, but not by a factor of 10 or more.

FreeBSD machine has an Intel etherexpress pro 10/100 (fxp0), half-duplex for
all cards.  auto-switching 10/100 hub.  All IDE drives.  I'm currently using
vinum but I was having this problem before I started using vinum.

Has anyone had similar experiences, and if so, can they shed any light on
the problem?

Thank you,
-Chris