Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:22:58 +1100 (EST)
From:      Tony Alexander Frank <s9507886@cse.rmit.edu.au>
To:        willow@tds.edu (Willow)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosts.{deny|allow}

Hey Willow,

> I'm trying to block access to our freebsd (2.2.7) boxes from several
> domains and not having any luck.  I have read the man pages on
> hosts_optiosn and hosts_access and tried to follow along without success.
>
> I would prefer to block based on IP (I have 10 class C's or so that need
> to be blocked) if possible.

I think you'd be best suited by using some deny rules in ipfw or a similar
firewall (whatever you're running with presently)

eg, if you've added ipfirewall to your kernel config, you can then edit one of
the prebuilt firewall configs found in /etc/rc.firewall and simple add an extra
deny rule or ten.

is add something like

Suppose you want to block any & all TCP/IP access from the 'bad' network of
192.168.1.0 then you can add a line like the following to your rc.firewall:

$ifwcmd add deny log all from 192.168.1.0/16 to any

There's several prebuilt samples in /etc/rc.firewall...

Remember that if you use this, to also update /etc/rc.conf with the appropriate
firewall options.

--
| Tony Frank                            | Mobile: +61-412-481-029         |
| 4th Year Computer Systems Engineering | Fax:    +61-3-9720-4672         |