Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 08:00:38 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Scott Blachowicz <scott@mail.dsab.rresearch.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/36307: nmh port cuts off last part of sender domain

In message <20020420231049.A89775@sabami.seaslug.org>, Scott Blachowicz
writes:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 08:55:30PM -0700, Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Gro
> up wrote:
> > In message <20020421032205.026BB1DC5@mail.dsab.rresearch.com>, Scott
> > Blachowicz
> >  writes:
> > > So...is there a standard process for getting ports changes committed to
> > > the ports tree? It seems like with most of the changes I've submitted
> > > before, I'd managed to catch the interest of a committer - apparently not
> > > so this time. Does it make any sense to have individual port maintainers
> > > have commit access just for the ports they maintain? Or is that too much
> > > of an administrative/security/whatever headache?
> >
> > I use nmh and have tested this using a.very.long.email.address@uumail.go
> > v.bc.ca and I've successfully sent an email tomkb@reiher.informatik.uni-
> > wuerzburg.de.  I cannot recreate the bug.
>
> What version of FreeBSD do you run? The problem came down to the use of

4.5-RELEASE-p3 and 4.5-STABLE as of yesterday.

> the uname() function to get the hostname and its use of a fixed length
> buffer (32 characters, IIRC) to hold the hostname. I don't know if more
> recent versions of FreeBSD have longer max lengths (see MAX_NMLN in
> /usr/include/sys/utsname.h) or not. Also, I think this only comes into
> play if your mts.conf file has no "localname:" specified.

I have no "localname:" specified.

> For C code patching, all this does is prevent the autoconf stuff from
> checking for a uname(3) function, so it won't use that and will, instead,
> use gethostname() which has a bigger max length.

I have no problem applying the patch to fix the problem.  I just cannot
recreate the problem to verify it.  :/

> And, other than that, I tweaked the Makefile to allow port builders more
> flexibility in the options that get passed down to the 'configure' process
> (per a request by a user).

I will work with you to resolve this PR.

Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, CITS
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC