Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:21:06 +0900
From:      "Luke Kearney" <luke_k@edge.co.jp>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Another Newbie Question

Hi,
I am running FreeBSD 4.0 on a pretty standard intel PIII550 setup. The
machine in question is a web server and using the rsynch tool primary disk
is backed up to secondary disk each day. Recently it would seem that the
primary disk is throwing some errors but I cannot be sure if it is the
hardware or software. I know there is some way to check this using the DD
command but I cannot remember what it is, I think it goes something like :

dd if=/dev/rad0 if=dev/null

Does anyone perchance know this technique for checking the disks ?? Or can
you suggest something else which can help track down the problem

Please reply to me directly as well as to the list.

Cheers

Luke