Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 00:44:34 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Quick question - editing etc/rc before initial re-boot.

Still having problems installing FreeBSD (see earlier message "Panic on install..."). I've
managed to get it as far as completing the install, but on initial boot I get read command
timeout errors then a cycle of reseting the drives and write timeouts over and over again.

Anyway, I'm sure I could get it working if I could include the line

/sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes="pio,dma"

in the /etc/rc.local or whichever conf file it is, to keep the hard disc in pio rather
than DMA mode, as it's when it tries to move up to DMA that all the errors come along.

So, is there any way to edit the rc.local file before the first boot? after booting and
the errors, it becomes unbootable, so I can't get on to change it, and I don't have
another machine around to plug it into to edit the file from, apart from this laptop but
that doesn't have an IDE port knocking around.

Thanks in advance,
Mark