Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 22:52:20 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Bruce Perryman <Bruce_Perryman@ibi.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot problems after installing FreeBSD

Bruce Perryman wrote:

>      Hello Walnut Creek,
>
>      I am a new FreeBSD user and I am having trouble using it.
>
>      I have 2 hard drives, a 252 MB as the master and a 2000 MB as the
>      slave.  Although my bios is dated February 1994, I had trouble seeing
>      all of my 2000 MB drive.  So I used IBM's Disk Manager software to
>      create 2 1000 MB partitions.  In doing so Disk Manager created a boot
>      manager on my C drive which prompts me to press the spacebar if I want
>      to boot from a floppy, otherwise it boots from my C drive.
>
>      Then I attempted to install FreeBSD.
>
>      I created an installation boot floppy from my FreeBSD v2.1
>      installation CD and proceeded to install a intermediate level
>      XDevleloper version of FreeBSD.  To create space I deleted the second
>      partition created by Disk Manager and created a 950 MB partition for
>      FreeBSD.  I requested that the master boot record remain untouched,
>      however after the installation was completed, and the system rebooted,
>      I was prompted to insert a boot floppy in drive A.  My PC won't boot
>      now unless I have a boot floppy.  This wouldn't be so bad if I could
>      boot FreeBSD from a floppy, but I can't figure out how.  I don't see
>      anywhere in the menus how to create a boot floppy to run FreeBSD.  I
>      do see how to create one for installation.  So FreeBSD is installed
>      but I can't run it.
>
>      The ideal situation would be to have FreeBSD's boot manager control
>      whether I boot DOS or BSD and have BSD on my large drive (I would
>      rather not boot from a floppy).  However, I need Disk Manager's boot
>      manager to see all of my large drive.  The next desirable situation
>      would be to boot FreeBSD from a floppy - but I need instructions on
>      how to do so.  If you can give me any other options for the solution
>      of this problem, I would appreciate it.
>
>      I hope that I was too descriptive of the problem, however if I wasn't
>      please contact me so that I can further clarify.  I am very eager to
>      get started with FreeBSD.  I look forward to your reply.

Boot dos and use fdisk to set a partition active!
WARNING! Using a DDO (IBM Disk manager) is risky at best!
I suggest buying a IDE card with LBA abilities. They are pretty
cheap. Especially compared to the risks of DDO. (~50 bux or less)

FreeBSD does have a boot manager, I don't know how it will react
with DDO.

Your best bet may be to have it boot FreeBSD from HD, And dos
from Floppy.

Someone that uses DDO would be able to make better suggestions!

Although I belive I have seem messages on here where people have
used FreeBSD boot manager with DDO, Or other boot managers!

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848