Date:      16 Aug 2002 19:39:27 +0200
From:      Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with external SCSI device

Am Fre, 2002-08-16 um 19.32 schrieb Justin T. Gibbs:

> >> Are you sure that the DAT drive is properly terminating the bus?
> >
> > I think so. The DAT is an older IBM 3440 001. The guy I bought it from
> > said it had an internal terminator. There's only one Centronics
> > connector on the case, so I can't use a terminator anyway.
>
> Most of these drives require you to set a jumper or dip-switch to
> nable termination.  Do you have auto-termination set on the SCSI adapter
> or did you manually change the settings?  A verbose boot from the
> system should tell you how the controller is terminated.

Meanwhile I moved the controller over to a x86 box to get access to the
card' BIOS.
I found that the drive is not identified at start by the controller if
connected to the external port.
So I opened up the DATs case and connected it directly to the inside 50
pin connector and voila... it is identified.

Is it possible that his is a problem with my external cable? I got both
new today. It is a Centronics to 25 pin cable with an adapter for 25pin
to HD68. They didn't have a Centronics to HD68 cable so I choose this
way. The cable is 2 meters.

Thanks,

Jan