Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 18:43:09 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jeff Kreska <jkreska@kreska.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changes needed to /etc/ttys to enable inittab functionality

Jeff Kreska <jkreska@kreska.org> types:
> On Wed, 16 May 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
>
> > Jeff Kreska <jkreska@kreska.org> types:
> > > I searched the archives and can't find any info on how to enable
> > > /etc/inittab functionality.
> >
> > If you really want /etc/inittab, you need to install a SysV-like
> > system instead of FreeBSD. If you have something specific you're
> > trying to do, you might ask about that and someone here can probably
> > tell you the BSD way to do it.
> >

> My named keeps core dumping, and I just wanted to have a proc monitor it
> and restart it when it dies.  I noticed in the man page for init, that
> something could be added to /etc/ttys to enable /etc/inittab
> functionality.  I thought inittab would be perfect for restarting a
> problematic daemon.

First, if your named isn't up to date, the problem you're having may
well be related to - possibly successful - attempts to gain
unauthorized root access to your machine. You should check that you're
running the latest version of BIND. I believe that's 8.2.3-RELEASE;
any beta, test or prereleases of that version are vunlerable. If so,
you might want to audit your system and update named.

If you read the man page for init, it says the functionality is
"similar to ... /etc/inittab".  The reason you don't see any
discussion of that - though there's lots of discussion about named
problems, including recent additions to the periodic tools to check
its status - is because daemons exiting unexpectedly is a symptom of
something being broken, and that something should be *fixed*, not
worked around.

In any case, the description in the init man page pretty much covers
it. If you add something like:

TestCase "/tmp/testd"   none    on

to /etc/ttys, then /tmp/testd will be run with the argument
"TestCase". Changing "on" to "off" will disable the daemon, including
killing any that are running on it - just like those attached to
ttys. Likewise, if you can get information from setting the terminal
type - which is "none" in the above - you can do so.

	<mike