Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2015 14:20:47 -0800
From:      Dru Lavigne <dru.lavigne@att.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, Cody Chamberlain <cody.chamberlain@me.com>
Subject:   Re: epub / ebook

On Sun, 2/8/15, Cody Chamberlain <cody.chamberlain@me.com> wrote:
=20
> i was just searching around seeing if
> there was a version of the freebsd handbook available as an
> e-book. i see amazon has an option from the FreeBSD
> Documentation Foundation.. is that actively maintained? is
> there an ePub / kindlegen version already crreated that just
> needs to be maintained?
>
> i was going to take the handbook page and start getting an
> ePub created but didn=E2=80=99t want to reinvent the wheel if its
> already spinning.=20

Hello Cody,

Sorry for the late reply.

It looks like someone uploaded an older version of the Handbook to Amazon. =
That version has since been removed and we have asked the uploader to impro=
ve the quality of the Kindle version and use their own name, rather than th=
e FreeBSD Documentation Project, if they upload it again so as not to confu=
se readers.

Currently, we're not generating an epub or a Kindle version of the Handbook=
. We spent a lot of time last year getting the Handbook up-to-date and have=
 a bit more work to do on that front. The plan in doing so is to have a mod=
ernized, dead tree edition available through the FreeBSD Mall, as the last =
published version was over 10 years ago, as well as an epub version availab=
le for sale where the proceeds go directly to the FreeBSD Foundation.=20

At one point there was a mechanism to automatically generate the Handbook i=
n various formats, but it's my understanding that we are only doing HTML at=
 this time. This is something we'll be discussing at the doc working group =
and sprints during BSDCan in June. If you happen to be attending that confe=
rence, feel free to join the doc sprints each evening :-)

Cheers,

Dru