Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:29:01 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mysql: a lot of lost connections...

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 12:12:06PM +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> > >   As has been mentioned on this list, you can use 4.2-STABLE, but you
> > > must change the compiler.
> > >
> > >   4.2-RELEASE has a known mutex bug that was discussed on this list and
> > > fixed about two days after the release.  Since this was a well-known
> > > bug,
> > > why on earth did you even bother with 4.2-RELEASE?
> >
> > Today I've checked the ERRATA _again_, still no signs of this bug.
> > We're hopefully not trying to hide bugs like some other *BSD folks tend
> > to do sometimes?
>
> You seem to have missed my emails saying that Jason Evans and I cannot
> reproduce this (the need for changing the compiler), and my call asking
> those that can to help.  I see not a single person has been willing to
> spend the time doing this.
>
> It is not in the Errata because we don't know what to put in there since
> there hasn't been an in-depth analysis of the problem.

David, I was talking about the libc_r (i.e. "mutex bug") bug and not the
one discussed in this thread - you were fooled by the subject, sorry for
not changing it.
I think that the pthread bug deserves its place in the ERRATA.TXT

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]