Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:33:34 -0400
From:      "Robert Blayzor" <rblayzor@inoc.net>
To:        "'Matthew Dillon'" <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "'Valery G. Utkin'" <uvg@niiefa.spb.su>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: RE: FW: RE: Swap_pager error

>     Robert, if you haven't already I would recommend that you
> re-enable all
>     your cron stuff, *except* for the ipfw and ip6fw related
> elements, and
>     see if your boxes remain stable.
>
>     If they do, try reenabling ipfw but leaving ip6fw
> disabled.  If the
>     continue to work, try reenabling ip6fw (to be sure that is causing
>     the crash).
>
>     It is beginning to sound like either ipfw or ip6fw is
> either causing
>     corruption in the kernel or is causing something (in
> kernel or userland
>     running as root) to exhaust physical memory and lock the
> machine up.

Ok, well if this one makes *ANY* sense; the only box we see doing this
is the only FreeBSD mutli-CPU box we have.  We have several other single
processor boxes that have never crashed, although they are a lot less
busy.  I remember we thought that this could have been a hard drive
controller, however, we have several other boxes that run /etc/security
just fine every night with the same hard drive controller. (PERC3).  We
also thought maybe it was bad memory, but we did extensive testing, and
never found a problem.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

Logic:   The art of being wrong with confidence...