From:      Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Getting Apache and mod_perl compiled and installed

I have successfully gotten Apache/mod_perl to compile under Linux many a

times.  This is my first attempt at compiling it on FreeBSD and I am
having problems.  The problem is that when to do the "make test", apache

never starts up.  I had once run into this on Linux and that was because

the  .makepl_args.mod_perl was pointing to a non-existing layout file
and I did not catch the error from the "perl Makefile.PL".  But I have
looked and look at the output of the "perl Makefile.PL" and see nothing
wrong.  I am going to post the output of "perl Makefile.PL", along with
my .makepl_args.mod_perl and my layout file in hopes that one of you can

find my error.  Thanks!!!!

------------output from "perl Makefile.PL"------------
Will run tests as User: 'nobody' Group: 'wheel'
Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.12
 + using installation path layout: maineville
(/usr/src/apache.config.layout)
 + activated perl module (modules/perl/libperl.a)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
 + enabling mod_so for DSO support
      + id: mod_perl/1.24
      + id: Perl/5.00503 (freebsd) [perl]
Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for FreeBSD 4.0 platform
 + setting C pre-processor to cc -E
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
    o rewrite_module uses ConfigStart/End
      enabling DBM support for mod_rewrite
    o dbm_auth_module uses ConfigStart/End
    o perl_module uses ConfigStart/End
      + mod_perl build type: DSO
      + setting up mod_perl build environment
      + adjusting Apache build environment

** Error: Cannot build mod_include with Perl support (USE_PERL_SSI) **
** when mod_perl is compiled as DSO because of cross-module calls.  **
** Ignoring PERL_SSI flag now.                                      **

 + checking sizeof various data types
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
Creating Makefile in src/support
Creating Makefile in src/os/unix
Creating Makefile in src/ap
Creating Makefile in src/main
Creating Makefile in src/modules/standard
Creating Makefile in src/modules/proxy
Creating Makefile in src/modules/perl
Reading Makefile.PL args from ../.makepl_args.mod_perl
Will configure via APACI
cp apaci/Makefile.libdir
/usr/src/apache/src/modules/perl/Makefile.libdir
cp apaci/Makefile.tmpl /usr/src/apache/src/modules/perl/Makefile.tmpl
cp apaci/README /usr/src/apache/src/modules/perl/README
cp apaci/configure /usr/src/apache/src/modules/perl/configure
cp apaci/libperl.module /usr/src/apache/src/modules/perl/libperl.module
cp apaci/mod_perl.config.sh
/usr/src/apache/src/modules/perl/mod_perl.config.sh
cp apaci/load_modules.pl.PL
/usr/src/apache/src/modules/perl/load_modules.pl.PL
cp apaci/find_source.PL /usr/src/apache/src/modules/perl/find_source.PL
cp apaci/apxs_cflags.PL /usr/src/apache/src/modules/perl/apxs_cflags.PL
cp apaci/mod_perl.exp /usr/src/apache/src/modules/perl/mod_perl.exp
PerlDispatchHandler.........enabled
PerlChildInitHandler........enabled
PerlChildExitHandler........enabled
PerlPostReadRequestHandler..enabled
PerlTransHandler............enabled
PerlHeaderParserHandler.....enabled
PerlAccessHandler...........enabled
PerlAuthenHandler...........enabled
PerlAuthzHandler............enabled
PerlTypeHandler.............enabled
PerlFixupHandler............enabled
PerlHandler.................enabled
PerlLogHandler..............enabled
PerlInitHandler.............enabled
PerlCleanupHandler..........enabled
PerlRestartHandler..........enabled
PerlStackedHandlers.........enabled
PerlMethodHandlers..........enabled
PerlDirectiveHandlers.......enabled
PerlTableApi................enabled
PerlLogApi..................enabled
PerlUriApi..................enabled
PerlUtilApi.................enabled
PerlFileApi.................enabled
PerlConnectionApi...........enabled
PerlServerApi...............enabled
PerlSections................enabled
PerlSSI.....................enabled
(cd /usr/src/apache && CC="cc" ./configure
--activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a --disable-rule=EXPAT
--with-layout=/usr/src/apache.config.layout:maineville
--server-uid=wwwrun --server-gid=daemon --enable-module=most
--enable-shared=max --prefix=/data01/maineville)
Checking CGI.pm VERSION..........ok
Checking for LWP::UserAgent......ok
Checking for HTML::HeadParser....ok
'-ADD_MODULE' is not a known MakeMaker parameter name.
Writing Makefile for Apache
Writing Makefile for Apache::Connection
Writing Makefile for Apache::Constants
Writing Makefile for Apache::File
Writing Makefile for Apache::Leak
Writing Makefile for Apache::Log
Writing Makefile for Apache::ModuleConfig
Writing Makefile for Apache::PerlRunXS
Writing Makefile for Apache::Server
Writing Makefile for Apache::Symbol
Writing Makefile for Apache::Table
Writing Makefile for Apache::URI
Writing Makefile for Apache::Util
Writing Makefile for mod_perl

------------.makepl_args.mod_perl------------
# File: .makepl_args.mod_erl
# enable all phase callbacks, API modules and misc features
EVERYTHING=1

# tell runtime diagnostics to active if MOD_PERL_TRACE environment
# variable is set at runtime
PERL_TRACE=1

# tell Makefile.pl where the Apache source tree is
APACHE_SRC=/usr/src/apache/src

# tell Makefile.PL where the Apache is to be isntalled
APACHE_PREFIX=/data01/maineville

# disable Makefile.pl from compiling Apache
# PREP_HTTPD=1

# tell Makefile.PL to use the first source found, which will be the
# path specified above by APACHE_SRC
DO_HTTPD=1

# tell Makefile.PL to configure Apache using the apaci interface
USE_APACI=1

# tell makefile.PL to configure ssl support, too
# SSL_BASE=/usr/local/ssl

# add mod_info, mod_status, mod_usertrack, and mod_unique_id
# ADD_MODULE=info,status,usertrack,unique_id

# additional arguments to give Apache's configure script
# aruments can be delimited by comma and/or specified with multipal
# APACI_ARGS lines
#APACI_ARGS=--includedir=/usr/src/php
#APACI_ARGS=--activate-module=src/modules/php3/libphp3.a
APACI_ARGS=--with-layout=/usr/src/apache.config.layout:maineville
APACI_ARGS=--server-uid=wwwrun
APACI_ARGS=--server-gid=daemon
APACI_ARGS=--enable-module=most
APACI_ARGS=--enable-shared=max

------------apache.config.layout------------
##
##  config.layout -- APACI Pre-defined Installation Path Layouts
##
##  Hints:
##  - layouts can be loaded with APACI's --with-layout=ID option
##  - when no --with-layout option is given, the default layout is
`Apache'
##  - a trailing plus character (`+') on paths is replaced with a
##    `/<target>' suffix where <target> is the the argument from
##    option --target (defaults to `httpd').
##

<Layout maineville>
    prefix:        /data01/maineville
    exec_prefix:   $prefix