Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:30:28 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        "MET" <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        "'Andy Sparrow'" <spadger@best.com>, "FreeBSD Mobil" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: On the Go with FreeBSD and KDE

--==_Exmh_1171677608P

> I am running -STABLE.
>
> So I made sure that apm is in the kernel (it is), and then I added the
> two 'enable' lines into my rc.conf file.  I then checked my BIOS's
> settings, its set to be 'active' when the lid closes, thus the monitor
> is turned off and the rest stays fully powered.  I then restarted and
> did some testing.  Closing the monitor still seems to break X and it
> gets screwy.

Try switching to a text vty with Ctrl-Alt-Fn and then back to X.

Does this clear the problem? If not, there's not a lot you can do.

If it does, maybe you could frob a couple of vidcontrol commands to
switch away/back to X on a resume rc.resume.

There's been some discussion regarding this issue with the NVidia card.

Wait for their (closed-source, binary-only) FreeBSD drivers, or don't
try to run Open Source software on hardware that the vendors won't
release adequate documentation for.

>  So then I tried pressing the 'Suspend' button on my
> laptop, that kind of worked.  It powered down the system.  I then
> powered it back up and it came right back to my screen as it was before
> I suspended it.  However, everything was fuzzy and blurry, but at least
> all there.  I then logged out and back in again and it looks all nice
> again.

This is a server reset, I would guess. You'll probably get much the same
effect from switching vty's.

>  Then I decided to write this email.  So here we are, and I'm
> still lost.  Here's my hardware specs as someone (a smart someone)
> suggested they could be used to help solve the issue.

I think that your main problem is the NVidia 'nv' driver, as opposed to anything to do with FreeBSD (the same problem exists in Linux).

There's some other people with this card around (on this list, even), but as I've deliberately never bought an Inspiron for precisely this reason (Dell seem to have dropped the ATI option that they used to have as an alternative), I can't really help much further.

HTH.

Regards,

AS

--==_Exmh_1171677608P