Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:10:42 +0000
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>
To:        Jacob Mahoney <kittenman_cm@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Colorful directory listing

> I have just installed FreeBSD on my computer, right
> next to Windows 98.  When I had Linux, I could type
> the ls command and it would give me the directory
> listing in color.  FreeBSD doesn't have colors for the
> directory listing, which makes it easier to read.

Assuming you've installed FreeBSD 4.2 (latest release), 'man ls' shows
that ls -G will give a colour listing (if you're using a colour-capable
terminal type). As I've also come from Linux I have become used to
executables being green, not the FreeBSD default of red. Putting this
line into your .bash_profile (assuming you're using bash of course) will
remedy that:

LSCOLORS=4x5x2x3x2x464301060203

All this and more from the man page.

HTH