Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:45:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        alfred@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Subject:   Re: portmap_enable vs. rpcbind_enable

On 31-Jul-01 David Malone wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 08:33:59AM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
>> Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com> writes:
>> >
>> > Probably to keep existing rc.conf's from breaking.  Same reason we've
>> > still got xntpd_enable.
>>
>> Why not change the names now, but keep the old ones working until,
>> say, 5.0 is branched?  People moving from 4.x will have enough hurdles
>> to jump through as it is, and those using -current will have half a
>> year to change it.
>
> It still is an extra change for people updating from 4.X to 5.0.
> Maybe we should just make a portmap_program variable which is set
> to portmap in -stable and rpcbind in -current. At least things
> would be orthogonal then.

> grep portmap_program /etc/defaults/rc.conf
portmap_program="/usr/sbin/rpcbind"     # path to portmap, if you want a
different one.
> uname -r
5.0-CURRENT

From cvs annotate:

1.71         (eivind   28-Jul-00): portmap_enable="NO"          # Run the
portmapper service (YES/NO).
1.96         (alfred   19-Mar-01): portmap_program="/usr/sbin/rpcbind"  # path
to portmap, if you want a different one.
1.1          (jkh      09-Feb-99): portmap_flags=""             # Flags to
portmap (if enabled).

From cvs annotate of rev 1.95:

1.71         (eivind   28-Jul-00): portmap_enable="NO"          # Run the
portmapper service (YES/NO).
1.3          (jfitz    11-Mar-99): portmap_program="/usr/sbin/portmap"  # path
to portmap, if you want a different one.
1.1          (jkh      09-Feb-99): portmap_flags=""             # Flags to
portmap (if enabled).

As you can see, we've had the portmap_program knob for 2.5 years now. :)
Right now there is no change related to portmap for a 4.x -> 5.0 upgrade.
(None that is visible to the user at least.)