Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 1997 01:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        ryate@hotmail.com (Rob Yate)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System partition with RAID box

> Hello, I recently bought a hardware based RAID box
> and am trying to setup file systems on it. My idea
> is use the box as SCSI subsystem which can be attached
> to any machine.
>
> So, I think, I would need to create all the filesystems
> including / and /usr on the RAID box itself, so that
> the CPU box is diskless and completely independant.
>
> However,
> I have seen that most such configurations have a system
> disk which is supposed to contain all this on one single
> disk. Is there any benefit to that? It seems the
> advantage of having a RAID box is lost if I use a single
> drive inside CPU box.
>
> Any pros/cons/pointers will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -
> -ry-

If you have a SCSI-2-SCSI Raid system, which works independ from the OS,
you can have even your system drive split over the drive. Host based raid
controller need to support the raid via BIOS functions and then it depends
again on the driver in the OS.

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net  | Fax#: 510-521-5073