Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:09:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole Harrington <freelist@webweaver.net>
To:        "Andras Tudos - Computronic, C3" <andras.tudos@computronic.hu>
Cc:        marci@c3.hu, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: file system performance

On 10-Jun-98 Andras Tudos - Computronic, C3 wisely wrote:
> We are setting up a largish qmail based mail server. We are using 3
> frontend machines (PII-233, 128Mb, FreeBSD 2.2.6) to accept incoming smtp
> mail and to service pop3 user requests. The mailboxes are on the backend
> machine (PII-400, 128Mb, FreeBSD 2.2.6, external HW RAID array on UW SCSI)
> and are shared via NFS. All PCs are on a 100Mbps switched LAN.
>
> The problem: file system performance (either measured over NFS or on the
> local RAID array). We can get 1.6Mbps when continuosly copying 1-2K files
> and 44Mbps when copying (dd) /dev/zero. The later is perfect, but the
> former is too low. We tried almost all options (sync and async mode), but
> couldn't get it higher. With this performance the server can deliver about
> 700,000 messages per day (measured with simulated mail load), which is less
> than required (on long term).
>
> Any ideas how to improve performance?

I am setting up a very similiar arrangement, except I have the machines mounting
 a network appliance device. To improve performance I am using a Packetengines G
igabit nic cards and Hub to connect to the Netapp filer Their are drives availab
le for FreeBSD.

 Glad to see someone else choosing qmail for it's abilities to work well over an
 NFS mounted environment.

  Nicole

     nicole@webweaver.net  - http://www.webweaver.net/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org - http://www.dangermouse.org/