Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:01:35 -0700 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, des@ofug.org, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

On 27-Oct-01 Matthew Dillon wrote:
>:Matt, just because C99 has changed doesn't mean we have to break C90.  This
>:is
>:the difference between your baseline that you support vs. the newest stuff
>:you
>:...
>:John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
>:PGP Key: http://www.baldwin.cx/~john/pgpkey.asc
>:"Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.FreeBSD.org/
>
>     Who says we are breaking C90?  So far nobody has posted anything from
>     C90 that prevents us from changing time_t to a 64 bit int.  Garrett's
>     defect list posting is on very thin ice, it would take a whole lot of
>     twisting to construe it as meaning that long long can't be used to
>     define time_t.

I'll leave that to the language lawyers.

>     C90 is also over 10 years old.  If these standards are supposed to
>     reflect what people are doing with C, then obviously we want to
>     use the latest one.

Err, what about software written in 1998?  It didnt' have C99, so it would
conform to C90.  You want to break 3 year old software?  You can't just depend
on the newest standard.  People have to have time to migrate code that depended
on things in the old standard that aren't supported in the newest.  If there
were a C95 or C96 or something, then it would probably make sense to switch our
baseline to that, but AFAIK there isn't and all we have is C90 and C99.
(Someone jump in here if I'm mistaken.)  IMO, C99 is too recent to mandate as
our baseline, so we are left with C90.  It may be old, but it was the
definitive standard 3 years ago.