Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:20:10 -0500
From:      Terry Zink <tzink@metrocon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mouse issues in Xfree86 4.01

Im running a new 4.2-RELEASE system.  Heres my problem in life

After several hours getting the i810 vid card to work (praise the lord)

I go to get my mouse working
I have a USB Logitech marble trackman (the wired, not wireless).. Not sure
if its the marble model, but its one of those (basically move the ball with
thumb and click with index and etc).

with both the ps2 adapter and the usb device... moused finds it fine and it
works wonderfully in console

In x, if i set it to sysmouse it does not want to work, yet XF86Setup
before i upgraded and modded the config had it working.. Mayhaps someone
can give me some help here

My current setup for it is

Section "pointer"
   Protocol      "SysMouse"
   Device        "/dev/mouse"
which is just a symlink to /dev/sysmouse

those are the only flags enabled on the mouse..

Any light would be great, considering it once worked without a hassle in
XF86Setup etc,, xwindows detects it as a ps/2 for some reason

when i load it

I see this

"Mouse 1: Protocol "PS/2"
Mouse1: Core pointer
Mouse1: buttons 3

Xinput adding extended input device Mouse1 type :MOUSE

thats the last i see and then i have to kill the client because of the
bloody problem with the mouse ...

If i move the mouse around at all, it sporadically goes all over the place,
clicks, opens windows, highlights, etc, all over the place as if the driver
is wrong...

Regards,
Terry Zink
Metrocon Communications