Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:56:36 +0100
From:      "Paul Caselton" <paul.caselton@somewhere.tv>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Host lookup trouble...

Hello All,

I am having some trouble getting my FreeBSD box to ping anything outside of
our local network, have set-up the /etc/hosts file for all the machines
locally (they are all Win2000).  And can ping them all fine using IP
addresses or the aliases.

But as soon as I try to ping a web address I get:

ping: cannot resolve *******.co.uk: Host name lookup failure

Our Internet access is through one of the said W2k boxes, it is running a
software proxy server, have managed to get Lynx accessing the web through
it, although this was using an http_proxy environment variable.

I'm thinking I need to have access to a name server, and have set the
service up on our proxy (192.168.0.1:53) to point to our ISPs primary
server, but I'm not sure where to go from here, or even if I'm going in the
right direction.

Any suggestions / help would be appreciated.

Paul