Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:28:00 +0100
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing the size of dev_t and ino_t

> My impression was that many .edu cells are anonymously accessible to at
> least some extent, or some of the boot-strapping tricks wouldn't work.  I
> could be wrong, however.

No bootstrap issues, or at least I had none: you don't even need to have
connectivity to set up arla, the distro is self contained.

> I've recently been exchanging e-mail with developers at CMU regarding the
> OpenAFS code, so there's certainly activity in that space.  Also, OpenAFS
> was ported to Darwin and OS X.  Although AFS isn't a big part of the
> FreeBSD community, there seems to be a lot of interest in FreeBSD on the
> AFS side of the world.

arla is available for OS X, including a "preferences" panel. I wasn't able
to check it out yet, as my Mac is at home waiting for my ADSL...

> Unfortunately, I largely live in a network environment where I can't hook
> up AFS easily due to a proxy-model firewall, or I'd be interested in
> helping out.  If the OpenAFS people make the server run happily and easily
> on FreeBSD, I can provide some help with the Arla client given enough time
> to set up a simply server.  However, what we really need are maintainers
> who use AFS daily to make this work -- it's a complex system that will
> require extensive testing and careful tracking.

As I said, you could test it even on a disconnected net. However, you can't
currently run a server on FreeBSD.
I would volunteer to be the maintainer, but AFS was just a pilot project
here and we no longer have a server. If the server becomes available for
OS X, I'll be able to run my own server at home, but until that time, it
can't be me.
I agree that we need somebody who uses it daily to work as maintainer, or
at least tester. But we should probably commit the code nonetheless, or
it will be a chicken-and-egg problem forever.

Bye,
	Andrea

--
                   Press every key to continue.