Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:52:16 +0100
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        User MAT <mat@blondie.ottawa.cc>
Cc:        Leif Neland <root@swimsuit.internet.dk>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two routers back to back: Do they need real ip-adresses?

> > You can't use unnumbered on broadcast media aka ethernet, so you need to
> > assign addresses to the interfaces, but these can be RFC1918 addresses,
> > that is if your ISP is willing to accept this.
>
> If you read the quote below, the third paragraph states that private IP's
> cannot have direct contact to the Internet. So IHO, the answer is no, you
> have to use a Globally un-Ambigous address.

--quote--
Private hosts can communicate with all other hosts inside the enterprise,
both public and private. [HERE-> However, they cannot have
IP connectivity to any host outside of the enterprise. [<- HERE]
--quote--

What is ment here is that the host which is assigned RFC1918 addresses
cannot communicate with "the Internet", there is nothing wrong with
having RFC1918 addresses on interfaces that only has "internal"
connectivity.

Here in Denmark the national school backbone is running RFC1918
addresses on it's routers, no problem, as long as all hosts that need
Internet connectivity uses real addresses ...

I also know that several larger US NSP's use RFC1918 in their backbones

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver (JS4261-RIPE), Network manager
Tele Danmark DataNet, IP section (AS3292)