Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:12:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Peck <speck@newsindex.com>
To:        David Raistrick <keen@damoe.wireless-isp.net>
Cc:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring Gateway/NAT on Freebsd

Here is the layout in detail:

I have a Public addresses and a DSL conneciton, the DSL line comes into
my house, which I then place into a HUB.  This hub is where all my
machines are attached.

I have one machine, that has 1 NIC card, this card is configured with the
ifconfig commands to be listening to both 1 public IP address, and to
172.16.0.1

The configuration for the public IP is to forward requests to the ISP
routers up stream, with appropriate netmask etc.

THe 172 entry is simply an alias to 172.16.0.1

The machine is configured as a gateway, it has Natd turned on, etc.

However I cannot get an answer to 172.16.0.1 when I attempt, even from
this box itself, even though the ifconfig alias command executes without
problem.

I have configured tun0 to be 172.16.0.1 to public IP (or at least I
believe I have)

(excerps from rc.conf)

ifconfig_tun0="inet 172.16.0.1 64.2.61.236 netmask 255.255.255.0"
natd_enabled="YES"
natd_interface="tun0"
gateway_enabled="YES"
network_interfaces="xl0 tun0 lo0"

I have no problem putting a second NIC into the box, if that is what it
takes... I am configuring my 172.16.x.x boxes to have 172.16.0.1 as their
defaultrout... which if I understand it should be picked up by this box,
who will then through tun0, tunnel it to the public IP and then forward it
out to the world?

I know I am missing something... the FreeBSD manual is great book, but in
this area, it is pretty weak...

Sean