Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:18:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Keith Bostic <bostic@sleepycat.com>
To:        karels@bsdi.com
Cc:        arch@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvi maintainer?

> I just re-subscribed to freebsd-arch, and to my surprise there is a current
> discussion on nvi (the first message saying "no, people would object if we
> switched to vim").  Are you on this list?

Peripherally -- I'm not on the list, but I've been participating
in the discussion via email.  This happens every 4-6 months and
it's become pretty predictable:

Step 1: A FreeBSD person says "We should put DB 3.X into the system,
	DB 1.85 has known bugs and isn't maintained by Sleepycat."
Step 2: I say, "I'd love it, I think it's a great idea, here are
	the issues."
Step 3: Someone else says "That's bad, we can't do that, it would be
	a problem for our embedded users."
Step 4: Someone else says "Nvi will require DB 3 in the next release,
	so we'll have to switch to DB 3 in the C library."
Step 5: Someone asks "Could we switch to gdbm or vim/elvis/whatever?"
Step 6: Editor religious wars begin.

[Everyone: shock, horror, dismay, flaming.]

I think that FreeBSD should leave DB 1.85 in the C library, and
when (if?) nvi finally upgrades to DB 3, simply load nvi & DB 3
as a single executable and ship it that way.  Problem solved.  :-)

I'm copying arch, but I doubt I'll be able to post -- feel free to
forward.

--keith