Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:43:48 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   named question

Exactly two weeks ago, named dumped core. I did not realize this until
today.

I can certainly add a cron job to email me if named is not running, but
is there a more feature-laden monitoring program I should be running to
avoid such mishaps?

On a somewhat related note: My DNS records are set to expire after 7
days. Why was did it take 14 days before I began to have problems
accessing my network by name?

I've been working on a theory:

My DNS zones are set to expire in 7 days. My nameserver does a
zone transfer to my ISP's nameserver, which answers queries for
the outside world.

I am assuming that my ISP's nameserver answered queries for 7 days, then
the records expired. I was still able to access my local network by name
for another 7 days because 'fresh' records still existed at one of the
outside backup DNS servers.

Then, almost exactly 14 days after named dumped core, the records
at the backup DNS expired, and I could no longer locate my network.

Sound reasonable?

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com