Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:03:18 -0500
From:      Redmond Militante <r-militante@northwestern.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfilter vs. firewall appliance

--MzdA25v054BPvyZa

hi

i have an ipfilter/ipnat box, that i'm using to protect an apache webserver.
the machine is 4.7-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p3 #1: Mon Aug 11 18:27:0=
6 CDT
2003.  the machine is a dell optiplex gx260 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40G=
Hz
512 mb of ram.  it's been doing a fine job.

i'd like to get extra nics for this machine and stick additional servers, s=
uch as our win2k domain controllers, and a mysql box, possibly more, behind=
 the firewall/nat. =20

i wanted to ask - for a firewall/nat that would potentially be protecting m=
ultiple production machines, is ipfilter's performance comparable to produc=
tion firewall appliances and software such as netscreen and symantec firewa=
ll?

i'm the only unix person where i work, and sometimes it's hard to get proje=
cts green lighted when a) i'm the only one on staff who knows the technolog=
y and b) it probably seems hard to believe to windows admins that a little =
pentium3 box with 2 nic cards and hand written firewall rules can do the sa=
me thing as an appliance that some companies are charging tens of thousands=
 of dollars for.

i'd like to be able to present a case to my employers - that the ipfilter/i=
pnat box that i set up would be able to provide the performance of commerci=
al firewall solutions, and was wondering if anyone knows of any benchmarks/=
reviews/etc. that i can cite.

any comments welcome

thanks as always
redmond

--=20
FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Thu Aug 28 12:42:04 CDT 2=
003
 2:45PM  up 8 days,  1:42, 1 user, load averages: 0.73, 0.23, 0.13
=20
"You should, without hesitation, pound your typewriter into a
plowshare, your paper into fertilizer, and enter agriculture."
		-- Business Professor, University of Georgia
=20

--MzdA25v054BPvyZa

--MzdA25v054BPvyZa--