Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:38:47 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DAT recommendations, audio + backup

On Friday, 12 March 1999 at 17:45:17 -0500, Chuck wrote:
> Newbie question from one who would like to upgrade backup tape from
> a Travan 4 to a DAT, but mainly to copy audio DATs.
>
> 1. Is every computer backup DAT able to read any audio DAT?

No.  I don't know of any DDS drive which can read DAT.

> 2. Can audio DATs be written using a computer backup DAT?

Again, not that I know of.

> 3. Do the tapes differ in any way, audio vs. backup?

Yes.  They're encoded differently.  If you look at the underside of a
DDS cartridge, you'll see a number of small holes of differing depth
on the rear edge (away from the drum).  These tell the drive what kind
of cartridges.

> 4. Any leads to usable FreeBSD audio editing software?

No.  You could take a look in the Ports Collection.  You might also
like to bounce this message off FreeBSD-multimedia.

Greg