Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 19:25:21 -0600
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppbus printing problems

On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 10:48:31AM -0800, Nick Sayer wrote:
> If I set up lpt0, printing is perfect. If I use the above ppbus
> configuration, I get garbage after anywhere from a few lines
> to a quarter page goes by.

This is apparently a serious problem, and people are **hopefully**
looking into it (HINT HINT).  I had the same experience, and after
reporting it on the FreeBSD bug-reports section of their web site,
someone mailed me a tip that *helped* (but not *cured*) the problem.

In your kernel configuration:

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port? tty irq 7
controller      ppbus0
device          nlpt0   at ppbus?

Note the "tty" on the first device line.  You probably have "net" there
right now, right?  Well, I honestly don't know what that means, but
changing it to "tty" has helped the printing problem.

I can print Postscript (using Ghostscript) without problems.  This is
OK for me since PS is about all I print anyhow (normally, I print
plain text with "a2ps" as filter).

But printing plain text by itself still has a few problems...  the
error light comes on the printer, paper doesn't feed right, and
characters get dropped sometimes.

My printer, BTW, is an HP Deskjet 672c.

--
    Michael Maxwell <drwho @ xnet.com>  |  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
       "American Justice: oxymoron.  William J. Clinton: moron."