Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:40:17 -0500
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, nicks@albury.net.au
Subject:   Re[2]: FTP Login message?

Friday, December 15, 2000, 6:34:28 AM, you wrote:
> * Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au> [20001215 09:41]: writing on the subject 'Re: FTP Login message?'
>>Thus spake Jack Juil Harris, Jr. (me@jharris.com):
>>
>> Where is the ftp login message file at in 4.2 Stable ?
>>
>>If you're using the ftpd that comes with the base system, you will find
>>it in /etc/ftpwelcome. 'man ftpd' for more details.

> This is news to me. Do you mean to say one can have ftp access to a server
> on which nothing from the ports have been installed? I did not know that
> there is such a possibility, or maybe what you mean by the 'base system'.
> I did man ftp but no mention of welcome msg though.

> -Wash

Here you go, man ftpd
                    ^  (the daemon)

     The file /var/run/nologin can be used to disable ftp access.  If the file
     exists, ftpd displays it and exits.  If the file /etc/ftpwelcome exists,
     ftpd prints it before issuing the ``ready'' message.  If the file
     /etc/ftpmotd exists, ftpd prints it after a successful login.  Note the
     motd file used is the one relative to the login environment.  This means
     the one in ~ftp/etc in the anonymous user's case.

--
Best regards,
 Neill