Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 17:21:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Joe Loughry <loughry@uswest.net>
To:        david@banning.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using win95 PC off of FreeBSD

Yes, it's certainly possible; in fact I do it here.

Once you have on-demand dialup to the Internet working on your FreeBSD
box, make sure you have GATEWAY_ENABLE="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf file
(then kill -HUP 1 to force init to reread the file).

You'll need an ethernet card in the Windows 95 computer and one in the
FreeBSD computer (I will assume you have a little LAN set up already).

On the Windows 95 box, go into Settings, Control Panel, Network, and
set the "default router" to the IP address of your FreeBSD machine on
your internal LAN.  Fill in the DNS name server field with the IP
address(es) of your ISP's nameservers (same as in the /etc/resolv.conf
file on your FreeBSD machine).  Naturally, your Windows 95 computer
has its own IP address on the internal LAN--may as well enter that in
your /etc/hosts file on the FreeBSD box.

After you reboot Windows 95 :-) it should be able to see the Internet
through your FreeBSD connection.  My wife's AOL works fine.  It even
triggers auto-dial on the FreeBSD box properly.

-Joe Loughry
loughry@uswest.net