Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:47:43 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crontab file

On 12/30/04 01:30 PM, Mike Jeays sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 12:15, Leon wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I edited "crontab" file to update my ports every day at certain time.
> > But , when time comes, I do not see any information on the screen, that something was updated.
> > Should the system sow any information about update or not?
> > If not, how can I check If ports was updated?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Leon.
>
> If the crontab job writes to stdout or stderr, this will be mailed back
> to you.  There is no immediate output on the screen from a crontab job.
> Check your mail - look in /var/mail/your-user-id or /var/mail/root if
> you don't have a mail client running.

This assumes you have a MAILTO variable set prior to the relevant cron
entry of course.  Set it to the email address you want the results
sent to.

You can even separate those entries you want responses for by changing
the value of MAILTO prior to the entry.

See CRONTAB(5) for more details.

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

"There are three principal ways to lose money: wine, women, and engineers.
While the first two are more pleasant, the third is by far the more certain."
    -- Baron Rothschild, ca. 1800