Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:19:05 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DAT recommendations, audio + backup

Chuck writes:
> Newbie question from one who would like to upgrade backup tape from
> a Travan 4 to a DAT, but mainly to copy audio DATs.
>
> 1. Is every computer backup DAT able to read any audio DAT?
> 2. Can audio DATs be written using a computer backup DAT?
> 3. Do the tapes differ in any way, audio vs. backup?
> 4. Any leads to usable FreeBSD audio editing software?
>
> Any info on successful models etc., or better yet the definitive web page
> for FreeBSD DAT users greatly appreciated.

To my knowledge there are no computer DDS drives on the common open
market which can do audio similar to the way CD-R can.

Think I saw a DDS recorder at http://www.corpsys.com/ that would take
audio inputs and record directly, and also over SCSI. Was thousands of
dollars.

DDS drives shiped OEM with SGI workstations can do audio over SCSI.
An SGI DDS-2 drive sells for over $2k new. Made by Seagate.

Recently purchased some Seagate Scorpion 24's (DDS-3) at work. Only
$1000 each. Manual mentions DAT audio. The SCSI quirk table they
provide to be entered into the IRIX kernel doesn't have the audio flag.

Even if you find an audio capable DDS drive you'll have a hard time
finding software unless you purchase an SGI workstation. Saw somewhere
refurbished Indy R5000's were around $1350 direct from SGI. Included a
monitor, RAM, HD, OS, but no tape drive or CDROM.

I have been happy with Seagate/Conner/Archive tape drives over the
years. Altho the Scorpion 24 drives seem to have problems with high
error rates (corrected error rates) and like to flash their LED slowly.
Then again, that might be due to a bad batch of Sony DDS tapes. I ran
almost 200 thru 4 drives last month.