Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:18:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, phk@critter.tfs.com, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

> SCSI - we use three contollers in house -Adaptec 1540, Adaptec 2940
> and NCR 810. For all of these we either use MB/32/64 (or is it
> MB/64/32? - I am at home now) or N/255/63 (or N/63/255?). With
> these selections we have no trouble at all. Allowing sysinstall to
> pick/discover geometries is asking for trouble.

Just a comment,

My standard procedure is to use a DOS boot disk to

fdisk /mbr
fdisk 			<= create DOS partition
format <drive>:

and then boot FreeBSD.  I have never had a problem with sysinstall that
I can recall, when doing this... it always "discovers" a usable geometry.

I will probably switch to Rod's X/64/32 thing for SCSI disks, as I have
used that occasionally in the past and never seemed to have any problems,
but I wasn't too sure about it.

... JG