Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:02:57 -0500
From:      "Gerry Freymann" <freymann@eagle.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Loaded 4.1.1 but it doesn't boot after the restart

This is an odd one. I've loaded FreeBSD 4.1.1-release on two machines
previously, and have a third to set up. I figured I'd use the 4.1.1-release
disks and cvsup up to 4.1.2 release/

The entire install runs flawlessly. At the end, it says remove floppies and
reboot. And then it just sits there at the loader prompt

F1 FreeBSD

Default  F1

and beeps, and does nothing.

So I said, oops, maybe I forgot to make the main fdisk slice Bootable?? So I
start the installation process over from scratch, ensure that I've set it
Bootable.... reboots, and does the same thing??

Any idea what  I missed? and how can one recover from this without having to
spend another hour or so reloading?

-Gerry