Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 21:47:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "J. Taylor" <333@flashcom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stable versions of FreeBSD

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, J. Taylor wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> I plan to order a computer from ASA.  I only know of two versions that
are Stable.  FreeBSD 2.2, 3.x.  I would like to know the latest stable version.

The first release candidate for 4.2-release just came out so 4.2 should be
out very soon, maybe within the week.  Right now that is the latest.

> This will be a home computer for personal use.  Being 64 years old I
would like to know how much math I need.  I have forgotten  most of what I was taught.

You should be able to get away without any math really.  To be a home user
you don't really need programming skills either.  Just read the FAQ at
www.freebsd.org   the handbook there also when you can, and just generally
reading man pages and the information at the website.

> I would appreciate any suggestions.  I realize that I would have my
head against the wall for a long time.

Yes the learning process can be tough, I'm in the same boat.   It's worth
it.

						Tim