Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:47:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, vdue@zen.tc
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and what 802.11b

>Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:30:14 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Michael DuFresne <vdue@zen.tc>

>Anyone have a pointer to info regarding the state of wireless for 4.3?

Well, I've been using [Cisco/]Aironet cards for a while on a variety of
laptops.  It's my current understanding that the an(4) driver in -STABLE
is OK for some firmware levels on the cards, but sufficiently recent
firmware changed the sizes of some structs, and the driver that is
presently in -STABLE doesn't deal with that very well.

I've been running with various patches (from Doug Ambrisko; see
http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/) that handle the newer firmware (which
supports Cisco's LEAP, for example) better.  He's also done some things
so I can run the Linux version of Cisco's "acu" and "cem" utilities, as
well as some command-line utilities to load new firmware and display the
"RIDs" on the card.

>I should be getting my i2500 next Monday, and before I buy anything
>wireless, I'd like to get an idea what I'm gettign into, what works
>OK, and what works well.

A fair amount of this will be what works with whatever you want to
communicate with.  :-}  And although it would appear that you're not in
the local area, the archives of the BAWUG (Bay Area Wireless User Group;
http://lists.bawug.org/pipermail/wireless/) will likely be of interest &
use.

>Heck, I'm not even sure 4.3 will get along with that particular
>Dell...

FWIW, my personal laptop is similar to a Dell Inspiron 5000e (made by
Compal), and I've been tracking 4-STABLE and 5-CURRENT on it since early
March... daily....  Stuff about it is at
http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/laptop.html

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.