Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:12:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "R. D. Davis" <rdd@smart.net>
To:        Bruno Pacheco <bruno@plinioleite.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow process

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Bruno Pacheco wrote:
> Hello.
> I've just installed FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE, and when i run some process like
> BitchX or pine, it takes up to 2 minutes to start.
> Does anybody know what can it be? Is this a default behave? I hope no,
> heheh

Alas, I also noticed various things being slower with 4.0.  I've gone
back to using 2.2.5 until I purchase another hard drive and can switch
back and forth between the two until I get my tape drives to work with
4.0.  Now, I'm having trouble reading parts of the tapes with 2.2.5 as
well, both on the 4mm and 8mm drive.  I guess the first thing I'll try
is replacing the external SCSI cable and termination... and if that
doesn't work, the old Adaptec 1541 will get replaced.  No SCSI error
messages occured when writing to the tapes.

Is there a reason why the dump doesn't have a verify option like the
Suns have, so the media can be verified after a tape is dumped?  Seems
strange not to be able to do some sort of verification of a backup.
It may take longer, but at least it gives one an idea if the backup is
useless or not.

--
R. D. Davis
rdd@perqlogic.com