Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 11:07:15 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFilter not free software?

Terry Lambert said on May 30, 2001 at 01:54:35:
> > On Fri, 25 May 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > This is where most GPL stuff falls apart, since the GPL
> > > effectively redefines "use" to be "utilize".  The UCB
> > > license doesn't have all the long-winded clauses which
> > > do that: when the UCB license says "use", it meand "use".
> >
> > Correct me if I am wrong, but the UCB license was written
> > by a lawyer. Is this true of the GPL?
>
> Yes.  RMS contracted it out.  The confusion is intentional.

According to Darren Reed, any lawyer will tell you that *his*
copyright notice means redistribution of unmodified code is allowed,
not redistribution of modified code.  "Use" perhaps allows
modification for personal purposes, but distribution of modified
code violates copyright law.
http://www.deadly.org/article.php3?sid=20010527142347
(Warning: that page is not for the faint of heart).

The BSD licence explicitly permits modification.  So this is not an
issue for BSD.