Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 15:21:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Christopher Palmer <cpalmer@jig.ordway.org>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who has been to an install-a-thon?

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Dan Langille wrote:

> I'm organizing an install-a-thon
> (http://www.nzfug.nz.freebsd.org/installathon.html) but I'd like to know
> more about them.  Who's been to one?  What was the format?  How many
> people turn up?  What's the ratio of helpers to helpees?

I've been to several hosted my my local Linux user group, but never
to one for FreeBSD. I don't think the OS matters. I'll give you some
answers and suggestions that I hope help.

We all met in the science lab of a high school (one of the LUG members is
a chemistry teacher there). We had a LAN and Internet connectivity.
Everyone brought their box, plugged into the LAN if they could (many
people brought spare hubs and NICs) and installed, upgraded, gamed or
otherwise had fun. The school server was running Linux and had mirrored
all kinds of software -- Linux distros, GNOME, KDE, all the big ones.

It's hard to say much about the ratio of helpers to helpees. There were a
few total newbies and a few seasoned pros, but most people knew some stuff
and needed help on other stuff -- people's knowledge sets seemed to be
complementary. So, many people were both helpers and helpees.

Hth, and have fun. :)

Christopher Palmer
Assistant Systems Administrator, Ordway Music Theatre
cpalmer@jig.ordway.org