Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:01:20 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        samy lancher <washville2003@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)

[There's an rsync mailing list - you're bound to get better assistance
if you ask your questions there: http://rsync.samba.org/lists.html ]

samy lancher wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am having a problem with rsync. I want to backup data from one machine  to another
 > remote machine. I have Freebsd4.7 on source and FreeBSD4.9 on destination machines.
 > rsync is installed on both the machines. I gave the following command at the source machine.
>
> rsync -avvznrbe  rsh  /sourcepath   66.123.34.123:/destinationpath
>
> (66.123.34.123 is the destination ip address)
>
> Below is the error i get
>
> opening connection using rsh 66.123.34.123 rsync --server -vvbnlogDtprz . /destinationpath
> 66.123.34.123: operation timed out
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(189)
>
> I am using dry run for testing purpose. I can "rsh" from source to destination machine
 > but i do not understand why rsync is not working. Any direction would be very helpful.

I'm not sure, the only time I've seen that type of error is when I've had connection
problems (i.e., my packet filter was blocking rsync).

You might do better using rsync's native communication protocol (i.e., running rsyncd
on one machine and connecting from the other).

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies