Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:28:49 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.0 to 3.1 VM changes?

I thought the folks on here might be interested
in my experiences with 3.0 and 3.1 on a system that
is heavily loaded but sometimes short of resources
and perhaps could answer a question regarding VM fixes.

This machine is pretty modest, a 5x86 with
40 megs or RAM, 1.5 gb of disk and 75 megs of
swap space.

3.0-SNAP 981225 ran  flawlessly with
Apache, RealAudio PNserver, a ham radio AX25
networking system, POP , sendmail, X11 , apsfilter/
ghostscript and Netscape, etc,
all running full time on a T1 line. Sometimes the
system would get pretty slow, but it chugged along.

Upgrading to 3.0-RELEASE, I added IPFW and began
firewalling a local LAN through this machine as well
on a 2nd ethernet port to 3 other machines running
3.1, Linux and even that "other" OS we won't mention.
Of course, this was an ELF kernel.

I began having difficulties with ipfw either core
dumping or "running wild" and eating 90% plus of the
CPU. I was in the process of trying to grope through
core dumps on ipfw compiled with symbols when I started
tying the problem to running out of swap space under
heavy loading. I also noticed that sendmail and inetd
would become wierd and I saw the dreaded "pointer too
low to make sense" message.

Upgrading to 3.1 has apparently cured all these problems.

My question is, why is there nothing in the Release
notes about VM fixes. I'm curious as to what was happening.
Is this something that was fixed and I missed seeing
that or am I just being lucky?

I'm sure the answer is that it's fixed, but just
to satisfy my idle curiosity, "what's up with dat" ? 8-).

regards,
--
Jim Durham