Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:39:02 -0500
From:      Edmond Baroud <SoHo@admin.fido.ca>
To:        Vijay.Singh@nokia.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: init and process restart

> Hi. Is it possible to use init to restart some user critical processes if they die. Has any work been done in this area. Please CC me.

init can do that, but I encourage the usage of svscan which you can find in :
/usr/ports/sysutils/service-config

- you can delegate the services monitoring/administration to their owners/other than the superusers.
- take the services up/down as needed (without modifying the ttys file and having to do init q)
- log every service uptime/downtime in a separate log.

hoep this helps,

Ed.

--
Edmond Baroud