Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 1998 15:42:52 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Matthew Patton <patton@sysnet.net>
Subject:   Re: CAM vs traditional devices

As Matthew Jacob wrote:

> This isn't a SCSI issue. This is a slice issue. And I sure wish I could
> figure it out sometimes. You probably need to ask freebsd-current about
> this.

> > The kernel still thinks the root device is "sd0s1a". Why is that? Also how
> > come none of the "da" devices have trailing partition letters? eg. there is
> > "da0s1" and "da0a" but no "da0s1a". I am simply too far behind? The
> > /dev/MAKEDEV script doesn't build them.

Well, /dev/MAKEDEV is supposed to build the partition device names for
slices iff (and only if) you call it like `MAKEDEV da0s1a' (building
da0s1 alone doesn't suffice).

Also, the name of the boot device is passed up from the bootstrap, so
you need to reinstall the bootstrap (disklabel -B da0s1) in order to
get it to new names.  (IMHO)

--
cheers, J"org