Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:49:51 -0700
From:      "Kulraj Gurm (bosa.ca account)" <kulraj@bosa.ca>
To:        "Paul" <tribble@tribble.net>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: AMD MB

> Looking for suggestions on a good motherboard that supports AMD
> Thunderbird well under FreeBSD.  Which ones have the least issues and best
> performance?
>
> Regards,
> Paul
> <tribble@tribble.net>
> http://www.tribble.net/

Which AMD CPU?
The old Athlon-B's or the new Athlon-C's, difference is 266MHz FSb on the
C's.
I haven't yet found a board that doesn't work well under FreeBSD, so base
you choice on features and value for money.
If you want C-Type CPU support look at :

MSI K7 Turbo
MSI K7 Turbo Raid
MSI K7 Master S
ASUS A7V133

or for 200MHz FSB :

Gigabyte 7ZX rev 5 (one of few that has ISA slot - important for modems; I
can't find a supported PCI modem, ideas anyone?)
MSI K7T Pro2A
MSI K7T Master S

If overclocking is important to you, then check out IWill.
So check out features and prices and go with what best fits your
needs/budget.

I am running a Gigabyte 7ZX on one of my servers (this is the newer one)
and MSI K7T Pro2 which is about six months old.

On rack mount boxes (especially 2U or 1U's I recommend the KM133 chipset
based boards like the Gigabyte 7ZMM-C because of the integrated VGA.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Kulraj