Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 17:19:42 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about the use of ssh-agent(1)

Paul Herman wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>
> >   xterm   xterm -n "$USER@$HOST" &
> >
> > And I do not want to use the alias.
> >
> > This is actually one of those things I have always meant to ask
> > about. Is there a better way to do that? Setting 'XTerm.title:
> > $USER@$HOST' in .Xresources would not have the desired effect for
> > several reasons.
>
> in .bashrc / .bash_login depending on your xterms, something like:
>
> xtitle () { echo -n -e "\033]0;$*\007"; }
> if [ "x$TERM" = xxterm ]
>   then xtitle $USER@$HOST
> fi

	I'm a little confused about exactly what the original poster is trying to
accomplish. If you are trying to use ssh-agent in X, your best bet is to
start your window manager as the child of ssh-agent. For example, the last
line of my .xinitrc file is:

exec ssh-agent gnome-session

(Yes, I've gone over to the dark side.) That way all windows that are
started by your window manager will inherit ssh-agent.

	As for the bash prompt issue, take a look at
http://freebsd.simplenet.com/Bash-prompts.txt

Enjoy,

Doug