Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 01:46:47 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed

According to Dag-Erling CoïdanSmørgrav :
> WordStar ripoff. Anybody ever used WordStar? It used to be THE text

I've never been able to bear Wordstar's ripoffs. I hate these.

> My all-time favorite DOS editor was Mr Ed, though I switched to Boxer

Mine is -- surprisingly enough -- an editor made by Microsoft and shipped
with the MSC 5.0 and 5.1. It was called 'M' and had a very interesting
design, including a postfixed macro language. It had regular expressions
far before many others too.

You could even write extentions in C for it (although I had to disassemble
the editor to find the interface and all the function names).

I added several features in C, including line drawing, #include search, and
mouse support !

That was also the heart of their PWB integrated editor/compiler although it
was hidden behind menus :-(

I still have it:

486 [1:41] roberto@keltia:/tmp/doc> ll /dos/c/usr/bin/
-rwx------  1 roberto  staff  142336 Apr 20  1989 m.exe
-rwx------  1 roberto  staff     766 Sep 18  1990 m.ico
-rwx------  1 roberto  staff     545 Mar 23  1991 m.pif
-rwx------  1 roberto  staff   24576 Mar 28  1991 mext.mxt

The last file is the one containing my extentions:

486 [1:41] roberto@keltia:/tmp/doc> what /dos/c/usr/bin/mext.mxt
/dos/c/usr/bin/mext.mxt:
        stub.asm:1.00, O.ROBERT, 01-Sep-1989
        vio.asm:3.13, O.ROBERT, 08-Oct-1989
        gets.asm:1.10, O.ROBERT, 02-Jan-1989
487 [1:42] roberto@keltia:/tmp/doc> strings !$ |more
MS-DOS Editor Extensions Version v.2.35.06 - Mar 28 1991 - O. ROBERT

The Good Ol' Times [tm] :-)
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #63: Tue Sep  1 00:50:29 CEST 1998